8.20.2010

guest bloggers : heather smith jones.

Hello. This is Heather Smith Jones here. I am an artist and instructor and have just authored my first book Water Paper Paint, Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media which is being published by Quarry Books and will release January 1, 2011. Thank you Summer for inviting me to guest post while you're on vacation, we hope you're having a super time!

One of the features I really enjoy about Summer's blog are her "flickr photo of the day" posts. So I thought I'd share a few film photos from my recent beach vacation, in which I spent a good amount of time simply gazing at the sky and ocean. There's just something about being at the beach that calms and refreshes, don't you think?



And this season when I haven't been gazing at the surroundings, working, and/or gardening, I've enjoyed reading and would like to also share a few of my picks:

The Shell Collector by Anthony Doerr, an exquisite set of short stories by one of my current favorite authors.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender, which was so enthralling I read it over one weekend.

Half-broke Horses by Jeannette Walls, an amazing tribute to the life and perseverance of the author's grandmother.

Will you share too? What is one of your recent favorite reads?

Thank you Summer and Design is Mine readers for letting me visit today!

Take care,
Heather

website
blog
join my mailing list

5 comments:

  1. these are all really beautiful!
    it's nice to meet you =]

    postcards from dreamland ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lemon cake book was a good read!

    I love these:
    //A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
    //The Forgotten Garden
    //The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
    //Didn't I Feed You Yesterday? (a book by Laura Bennett - from Project Runway)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are beautiful! The ocean is one of my favorite places in the world. And I'm always looking for new books to read, so thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently re-reading The Geography of Bliss. I think summer is a good time to step away from what's the "American norm" and start thinking about how we can adopt some of the "better living" ideals from other countries. No country is perfect, but we overworked, under-vacationed Americans are eventually going to figure out that taking a break is the only one to stay creative, refreshed, even efficient. It's a funny and interesting read.

    Looking forward to checking out the Aimee Bender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. perfect timing for this post. i've been looking for a good read all summer and vowed not to enter fall without one

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...